Live Traffic Map

Note

Reproduction of all quotes from this blog is welcomed provided that due credit is attributed to the author.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Living off Petrol

I was told by a family member of mine (who by the way works with the local oil giant) a few weeks ago that the petrol price was to be increased to more than RM2 per litre some time yesterday. Fortunately it was not. What Dato' Shahrir Samad said was that there would be no more local petrol sales to foreign registered cars within a 50km border radius. (Sure enough it caused pandemonium in certain areas of the country).

That did not mean I disregarded the rumour. As with all anxious human beings whose fate and fortune rely heavily on a particular mixed hydrocarbon called petroleum, I duly took my car to the filling station and filled up.

Another rumour is that the price of petroleum will end up at the USD200 per barrel region by the end of the year. Currently it is at USD126, way above the USD75 it was last year. It all but points out to the out of control spiralling of petroleum, and with it, the World economy.

Only by being able to subsist without reliance on oil, can we guarantee a future not affected by the absurdity of the commodity demand curve. Most people however, feel this is impossible.

Among the ideas thrown about by the ayesayers nevertheless, is the invention of machines and tools able to harness the alternative sustainable energy sources; nuclear, solar, hydroelectricity and biofuel, to name a few. Of course there is also that stupendous idea of hydrofuel.

As it is, I am relying on my 20-point agenda which is drawn up to fight the petrol-driven inflation. I hope that it benefits other Malaysians as well.

As I head back to my village to have my family haircut, I dread to think what Malaysia would turn out to be without the occasional 'Balik Kampung' journeys.

Less road fatalities, I presume.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blogger believes that time, of all things, is what wealth should be based upon and thus, death should be the best motivation for us to live life to the fullest.