Live Traffic Map

Note

Reproduction of all quotes from this blog is welcomed provided that due credit is attributed to the author.

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Doing Things Out of Respect, Not Right

Assalamu alaikum and hi all

I am trying hard to find a logical solution to all this fuss but all I see picturing in my mind is like an episode of 'Law and Order'. Unfortunately, unlike the tv programme where quid pro quo usually happens, I see no end to this and that is why discussing religious issues (of God's name, of all things) is deemed highly sensitive in a country such as ours where freedom of speech is not absolute freedom.

Let me rehighlight that the real issue under scrutiny is bigger then letting The Herald use the term 'Allah' in their weekly newsletters. Let me also state that the use of the term does not cause people that share my background to get confused so much so weakening my faith in Islam.

My concern is that term is used freely in literature especially for young children who read tales of the prophets (yes, the ones with pretty illustration) and find out that the ending is different altogether than what is taught in al Qur'an by their teachers and parents. I shudder knowing the fact that the few who are unable to read the al Qur'an may rely on translations of it to learn the religion and get it wrong. Worse, they could not tell one scripture from the other!

This is my genuine worry because I see them happening around me. So out of respect rather than right to my fellow peace-loving Christian friends, I hope that commonsense prevails.

It is always difficult to draw a clear line in matters such as this and I wish we do not venture there and share a common ground instead. That for me, is essentially quid pro quo.

Wassalam.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blogger believes that time, of all things, is what wealth should be based upon and thus, death should be the best motivation for us to live life to the fullest.